Aspire inspires and serves people on the autism spectrum, believing in the gifts of the uniquely wired mind. We are a group of clinicians who are passionate about collaborating with people on the autism spectrum. We offer a wide range of services across the lifespan for children and adults, families and groups, parents, and couples.
SAVE THE DATE! AspieCon 2018 is set for April 14, 2018 at the Queens Sports Complex. AspieCon is an interactive, “out of the box” event dedicated to empowering individuals on the spectrum. Through this event, we intend to increase awareness and access to resources, strengthen the Autism/Asperger’s community. All are invited to experience our world! Plan on a family friendly experience which will be informative, engaging, and fun. Stay tuned for more information! www.aspiecon.com @aspiecon #gotlemon
- Evaluations for children from toddlers to young adults
- Process includes parent interviews, parent and teacher questionnaires, and direct testing with the child/client
- We provide a comprehensive, detailed report with findings and recommendations
- Diagnostic information to help answer questions such as, “What’s going on?” or “Why is this happening?”
- Learning profile to target educational strengths and needs
Aspire provides a safe, fun place for building partnerships with caring therapists. We offer support for individuals, parents, siblings, couples/marriages, and families. Whether there are particular challenges that need to be addressed, or if it would just be helpful to have someone listen, Aspire is here to help.
- Caring clinicians partner with clients and families
- Support for parents, couples/marriage, and individuals
- Social skills/Life skills, educational advocacy, emotion regulation, targeted behavior change, goal-setting
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), behavior modification, social skills groups, family therapy
We at Aspire know that every parent wants the best for their child, to see their child feeling happy and confident, to know that their child can be successful in life. We are here to support parents on that journey.
- Consultation about how to respond to challenges and encourage positive change
- Strategies to make things easier at home
- School placement and educational advocacy
- Support from other parents who have had similar experiences
Aspire offers a place for people on the spectrum to seek marital support and consultation. All relationships take work, and sometimes it helps to have a neutral party act as a “sounding board.”
- Developing a deeper understanding of how spectrum features impact marriage
- Resolving conflict in a healthy way
- Listening to and understanding another’s perspective
- Communicating honestly and effectively
- Working together to address concerns within the relationship
Mary B offers a free support group for spectrum families on the first Wednesday of every month at our Southpark office. Parents can share their thoughts and experiences, ask questions with others who have “been there,” hear others’ perspectives, seek advice, and know that they are among people who understand.
Aspire helps clients and their families advocate for the support they need in their daily lives.
- Developing and implementing 504 plans (accommodations only for students with a condition that affects 1 or more life activities) or IEP’s (involve Special Education and involves specialized instruction for students who qualify)
- Darci Carter’s specialty as a parent advocate in school team meetings
- Educational consulting, including school placement
- Community — Finding resources and support within the community
Dr. G’s Lemon Continuum
Dr. G describes the Autism spectrum as The Lemon Continuum (©2007). Imagine a glass of water, a glass of water with a side of lemon, lemon flavored water, lemonade, a lemon, and a lemon farm. The lemon continuum is less and more but never bad. How much lemon is in the water helps one understand where an Aspie may fall on the “Lemon Continuum.” An example of a “lemon farm” individual would be Sir Isaac Newton or Andy Warhol, while lemonade is the actress Daryl Hannah or the pro surfer, Clay Marzo.